Orientation Team Leader | Finance major
Coming into my own New Student Conference just a couple of summers ago, I was terrified. Of what exactly? That’s something I still don’t have the answer to. Both my mother and my father are the class of 1993, and I practically grew up at either Olsen Field or Kyle Field. In spite of the fact that I lived just a short 75 minutes from Aggieland, I was still stressed about entering this new phase of life, which began with my NSC. I was terrified that if I missed one single detail throughout the course of my conference, it would invariably derail the next 4 years of my life (that’s not the case). Here are a couple of pro tips to be successful at your New Student Conference, from someone who has been closely involved with them.
- Clear any holds approximately one week before arriving for your NSC. This includes your bacterial meningitis vaccination, Online Orientation, Texas Success Initiative requirements, and any other hold in your Applicant Information System (or Howdy).
- Don’t get too caught up trying to remember every detail. Remember the experience you have at your NSC–there’s plenty of resources available in case you need an answer.
- Please ask your Orientation Leaders questions! We’re here to help make your transition to Aggieland as smooth and memorable as we can. Chances are someone has the same exact question as you, and we’re more than happy to offer our insights.
- Planning out your entire schedule until midnight the night before your register reaps little benefit; our academic advisers are here to help you during Day 2 of your conference.
- Talk to people! Small groups are your chance to meet fellow new Aggies as you arrive on campus. We’re all friends here in Aggieland!
Our Orientation Leader staff is incredibly excited to welcome a new wave of Aggies to campus, and I think I speak for all of when we say we cannot wait for the summer to begin. If at any point during your New Student Conference experience you need clarification, have a question, or just want a student perspective, come find myself or anyone in a black or maroon polo. We’ll see you soon!
Spencer Gosmano ‘22
Orientation Team Leader