Orientation Assistants (OAs) are a team of highly motivated current Texas A&M University students whose primary responsibility is to assist and support the Orientation Team, as they welcome new students and their families to Texas A&M. The OAs will play a vital role in the implementation of New Student Conferences by providing critical administrative and programmatic support. The New Student Conference (NSC) is a one- or two-day orientation program required for all new undergraduate students designed to help connect students to campus resources, academic support, current students, and to each other.
Applications will open on Monday, March 27 for Summer 2023 and will be due by the priority deadline: April 13 at 12 p.m.
New Student Conferences
- Assist with the preparation of NSC activities and materials prior to each session
- Provide directions to new students, families, and guests during and throughout NSC sessions
- Serve as an alternate Orientation Leader to facilitate small group discussions, as necessary
- Welcome new students and families to campus during NSCs by staffing morning check-in sessions and student & family lunches
- Help new students and families acclimate to the physical campus by providing proactive customer service to guests throughout New Student Conferences
- Share knowledge about the University’s history, campus resources, and expectations. When appropriate, refer guests to additional resources and campus departments
- Serve as a role model and a source of information regarding academics, policies and procedures, campus resources, activities, building locations, and other aspects of student life at Texas A&M
- Assist with Howdy Week events including, but not limited to Ice Cream Carnival, Class of 2027 Photo, and First Day of Class Photos
- Represent Texas A&M, the Division of Student Affairs, Student Life, New Student & Family Programs, and the Aggie Orientation Leaders, as it relates to the Core Values, the Aggie Code of Honor, and the Aggie Orientation Leader operating procedures
- Occasional lift and carry objects under 50 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and Expectations
- Current, full-time, Texas A&M degree-seeking undergraduate student and remain a student through the Fall 2023 semester
- Minimum semester and overall GPA of 2.50 through the duration of employment
- Must be in good standing and have no pending cases with the Student Conduct Office, the Academic Honor System Office, and any other conduct-related office on campus at the time of application through the duration of employment
- Must abide by state and university policies, Texas A&M Human Resources policies
- Available for all required trainings, summer NSC dates, Summer Leadership Summit, and Howdy Week
- Available to work 10-20 hours per work as assigned through Summer 2023*
*Orientation Assistants can enroll in summer classes but must share availability for working during the interview process. We strongly encourage online or asynchronous courses to maximize availability.
- Broad knowledge of the university and love for Texas A&M
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to function as an effective team member
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must display flexibility regarding roles and work duties
- Must exhibit dependability, responsibility, punctuality, and energy in a professional work environment
- Desire to learn and share information about Texas A&M, campus resources, services, and programs with new students and families
- Desire to learn how to facilitate small group discussions for new students
- Commitment to promoting cultural diversity and an inclusive environment
- Prior campus involvement in clubs, organizations, or other campus roles is preferred, but not required
Individual commitment to all training and employment dates is essential to the success of the New Student Conference & Orientation Team. If you have a conflict with any of the employment dates and would like to discuss your concerns individually please contact Spikey Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org or 979-845-5826. Dates are subject to change. Please note Orientation Assistants are required to attend all training & retreats, and must be available for all Summer NSCs.
|OA Training||Wednesday, May 3 (half-day)|
|Intensive Training Days (ITDs)||May 15-22|
|New Student Conferences||Freshman NSC Dates
May 25-26; May 31-June 1
June 1-2; June 6-7; June 13-14; June 14-15; June 15-16; June 21-22; June 22-23; June 27-28; June 28-29; June 29-30
July 6-7; July 12-13; July 13-14; July 18-19; July 19-20; July 20-21; July 25-26
Transfer NSC Dates
|Summer Leadership Summit||Wednesday, July 13 - Friday, July 15|
|Howdy Week||August 17-22, 2023|
|Orientation Team Banquet||TBD - Late August or September 2022|
- $9 per hour during training and NSC's
- Most meals provided during summer training & NSC sessions (May – August)
- NSC Uniform: staff polos & nametag
In addition to compensation you will have the opportunity to,
- Gain skills in this position that will aid them in their future career goals
- Effectively share their Texas A&M University experience with students and families
- Effectively communicate interpersonally and in written form, as appropriate to their position.
- Implement inclusive practices when working with diverse individuals. Inclusive practices are actions that welcome and support people from all groups, including the multiplicity of their identities and characteristics (Strayhorn, 2019).
- Make effective decisions which result in quality customer service