Aggie Orientation Leaders
New Student & Family Programs is hiring Orientation Assistants (OA). Orientation assistants (OAs) are a team of highly motivated undergraduate students whose primary responsibility is to assist and support the orientation team as they welcome new students and their families to Texas A&M University. The OAs will play a vital role in the implementation of New Student Conferences by providing critical administrative and programmatic support. Becoming an Aggie Orientation Assistant is a unique honor and a rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Applications for Aggie Orientation Leaders are now closed.
- Submit online application
- Complete an individual interview (a link will be sent to you once your application is received)
- Selection Announcement
"We're always T.H.E.R.E."
Applications for the 2021 Orientation Team are now closed!
- Review the Orientation Assistant Position Description
- Be sure to note the important dates listed within the Position Description
- Submit your online application and resume using the link below
- After your application has been received, you will be sent a link to sign up for a 15 minute interview time
Aggie Orientation Assistant Position Description
New Student Conferences:
- Assist in the preparation of New Student Conference activities and materials
- Assist the Orientation Leaders in welcoming new students & families to campus during the New Student Conference by staffing NSC check in, programs, and lunches as needed
- Help students and families acclimate to the physical campus by providing directions and leading them to sessions around campus
- Proactively provide customer service to guests throughout the New Student Conference Program
- Share knowledge about the University’s history, campus resources, and expectations. When appropriate, refer guest to additional resources and campus departments
- As needed, serve as an alternate for Orientation Leader to led small groups
- As needed, support campus tours in-person and virtually
- Represent Texas A&M University, The Offices of the Dean of Student Life, Office of New Student & Family Programs, and the Aggie Orientation Leader Program as it relates to the Core Values, Honor Code, behavioral contract, and organizational constitution
- Be professional, flexible, dependable, responsible, energetic, and punctual
- Occasional lifting and carrying of objects under 50 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned
Please note that throughout training and the job itself, requirements may be added or removed.
Required Qualifications & Expectations
- Available for all required training, NSC dates, and Howdy Week
- Current TAMU undergraduate degree-seeking student and remain an undergraduate student through December 2021
- Must abide by state and university policies, and the AOL behavior contract
- Must be in good academic standing by maintaining above a 2.25 GPA each semester and 2.0 overall
- Must be in good standing and have no pending cases with the Student Conduct Office, the Academic Honor System Office, and any other conduct related office on campus at the time of application through the end of the employment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about TAMU, its resources and services, it people, and its programs and to share the information with others
- Ability to function as an effective team member
- Commitment to promoting cultural diversity and an inclusive environment
- Ability to work under pressure
- Possesses two or more of the following qualities: maturity, responsibility, initiative, leadership, motivation, flexibility, enthusiasm, integrity, a strong and positive work ethic, and a commitment to personal and team development
- Overall commitment to Texas A&M University
Orientation Assistants will assume their role in May and will work 10-29 hours per week during the summer (May – August). Hours vary between traditional business hours (Mon.-Fri. 8:00 am – 5:00 pm) and evenings.
Individual commitment to all training and employment dates is essential to the success of the Orientation Assistant position. If you have a conflict with any of the employment dates and would like to know if you are still eligible to apply for the position, please contact New Student and Family Programs at NSFP@tamu.edu or 979-845-5826. Dates are subject to change.
Please refer to the Orientation Assistant Position Description for the Summer 2021 Important Dates prior to your application
Aggie Orientation Assistants will receive:
- $7.25 per hour
- Most meals provided during in-person summer training & in-person NSC sessions (May – August)
- NSC Uniform: staff polos, nametag, and additional TAMU orientation gear
In addition to compensation you will have the opportunity to,
- Gain both leadership and professional experience including time management, group facilitation, cultural competency, and public speaking
- Learn more about the University's history, traditions, opportunities, and services, and share this knowledge with incoming students and their families
- Develop professional relationships with staff, students, and their family members & guest
- Be part of a supportive team of student leaders while having an unforgettable summer experience positively impacting the transition of new students and their families
- Aggie Orientation Assistants may not be employed by another on-campus office/entity during the summer
- Aggie Orientation Assistants must receive written approval from supervisors before taking courses during summer mini session, session I and session II
- Asynchronous online course are permitted
- Course times will be limited due to the extensive NSC schedule.
- All orientation team activities take precedence over other activities and employment